What You Should Know About Reporting Time Violations

Last updated on June 1, 2020

After a lot of thought, you have made the brave decision to report your employer’s time violations. However, you barely know where to start.

Reporting a time violation is rarely easy, but it is worth it to seek reimbursement for your unpaid wages, hold your employer accountable for their actions and discourage them from taking advantage of other workers. As a reputable labor firm, JCL Law Firm, APC, has taken the time to answer a few common questions about filing a time violation claim.

How Can I Recognize A Time Violation?

Time violations can take many forms. Your employer may be violating California law if they make you:

  • Work without compensation
  • Come to work before your start time
  • Stay after your finish time
  • Work during a meal break or rest period
  • Attend meetings and training sessions without pay
  • Redo work without pay

How Should I Report A Time Violation?

  1. Gather evidence

Before you file a formal complaint with the Department of Labor, gather as much evidence as you can. This could include pay stubs, time tracking sheets, a journal of the violations, and emails or text messages with your supervisor.

  1. Fill out the form

Then, you will fill out the claims form provided by the Department of Labor on its website. You can fill out the form online or print it out and fill it out by hand.

  1. Submit the complaint

Then, submit your forms to the Labor Commissioner’s Office closest to you. You can mail this electronically or physically. A Labor Department official will then review your claim. 

How Long Will It Take For Me To Receive My Back Pay?

Unfortunately, it can take weeks for someone to review your claim and get back to you. This means that your case may not be resolved for months. One way to expedite your case is to speak with an employment law firm. A firm like JCL Law Firm, APC, will understand exactly which steps to follow and whom to contact within the Department of Labor to help your case move as quickly as possible.

Should I Work With A Lawyer?

In addition to helping your case move as fast as possible, a lawyer can ensure that you do not miss any steps or deadlines. A lawyer also adds legal muscle to your case. Frequently, employers jump to quickly resolve your case when they hear that an attorney is involved. You can also work with a lawyer to seek compensation for damages such as pain and suffering and punitive damages.

Talk With A Lawyer About Reporting Time Violations

If you are ready to report your employer for a time violation, contact JCL Law Firm, APC, for guidance. We provide free initial consultations in which you can discuss your case with a caring attorney. To reach our San Diego firm, call 619-826-6975 or send us an email.